Sunday, March 15, 2009

Budgets...

Can we tawk?

Sigh... doesn't always come down to money.... or perhaps the lack there-of... Thank god for eBay and to some degree the crappy economy, because there are deals to be had out there for those that are in need of spending their money. There are sales all over on camping gear and M/C specific gear, cameras, hydration systems, GPS'... just about everything I have needed to get I have found at significantly less than I had anticipated spending for it. The down side is that I have found myself spending more because I am buying more. Sigh.. so I am eBaying stuff I do not need or want in order to help offset the outflow of cash for trip supplies. Anyone want to but a signed AVA drum head? Check ebay!

I bought a set of unused heated grips for the Tiger. I will not be carrying the electric arm chaps or the electric gloves. They take up a fair amount of space and I do not think it will be cold enough, long enough, to need them. Instead, I will have heated grips, and the electric vest to ward off the cold.

Last week I picked up a pair of convertible pants on sale. Extremely lightweight, with zip off shorts. This week I will be getting in a microfiber long sleeve button down shirt, also found on sale. This completes my normal clothes being taken on the trip. I have two pairs of fleece bicycle shorts, and long sleeve shirt for wetting down for cooling, a microfiber long sleeve pullover and a few T-shirts, and a few other layers for the upper body.

The Stich one piece will be my main piece of outwear, and also qualifies as a piece of luggage! In it's upper right breast pocket will be the water bag and sippy tube... hydration baby!

So budgets... Here is a link to my Budget Thread on ADVrider in it are most of the specifics surround the management of cash flow on the trip...and cash will flow. Gas being the most expensive item AND having inordinate influence on the trip diue to the unpredictable fluctuation in prices. Hopefully $$ will stay low and the trip will not be adversely affected. When I first started with the idea gas prices were twice what they are now.. hopefully the summer of '09 will continue to see beneficial pricing.

Many thanks will be due to the members of the ADV community, as they will be providing many nights of free tent space in backyards throughout the trip. Avoiding the $15-$50 a night for lodging will be most important to staying on the road for as long as I can. While I have 50-60 days lined up, I could go more if the money holds out.

No comments: