Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Boxes for Hard Cases

one more thing...

I spent a good part of the afternoon researching hard sided cases. I was through both Staples and BestBuy today and they had collectively squat.

I continued a search online. I need to carry my Dell 910 laptop, a Lumix TZ4 digital camera and a Panasonic SDR-S10. All small gear. After a good 2 hours of poking around, I was either finding cases that were to thick at 6-8" or too thin a2". There is also a matter of not wanting to spend $500 for the Cadillacs of cases. I ended up with a Pelican 1470 Laptop Computer Waterproof Black Case / Watertight box... with a foam kit. I have some memory foam here as well to help modify. The interior dimensions of this box are 15.62" x 10.43" x 3.75" (39.7 x 26.5 x 9.5 cm) and will easily hold the net book at 9"x7"x1" and the two other devices and their power supplies.. I was mostly concerned about the netbook, but thought that I might as well up size what I am willing to have and spend and really protect all of it. I paid $101 for it including the foam kit and then upped for 3 day shipping so I would have it a bit sooner as it is coming from Calif.

I also want to take my Nikon 4500 and lenses and I think I will be able to get it all in.

The Thunderbike bars showed up yesterday, although I didn't figure that out until after the post office was closed, so I went in today to get them. I also has to pick up a T55 torx bit for the engine mounts. Shopped for landscape stuff for the yard... pavers and decking... picked up some lawn seed for the 18 yards of loam now sitting in the front yard!

(from a post on ADVrider.com)
the basement is full of goodies... in the next few days I will be adding to the tiger....

Thunderbike crash bars
Loobman oiler
PIAA 004xts (gotta get 35 wt bulbs!)
Electrical patch panel
Wiring for Valentine
Wiring for the PIAAs
Real Horns and their wiring
19 tooth front sprocket
Rox Risers.. up 2" and swivel back
Install Datel Blue LED voltmeter in dash
Setup the bike for the Mt.Sun Tank Bags
Setup the Triumph tank bag/pad
Mount the touring windscreen.. if I can find the grommet or finally get the new ones)
install new brighter headlight bulbs.
locate & Install 1" RAM Balls for camera
Move GPS power to new switched side power
Install access power socket in dash, std lighter plug.

I've already installed the heated grips, added the lowered pegs and the sheepskin buttpad.. .increasing my comfort level...

.... and most importantist of all!!!!! Apply ADV, FYYFF and Rider Dude stickers!!!!

**********

Over the last 6+ months I have posted a pile on the ADVrider.com site about various aspects of the coming trip. Over the next few posts I will cut and paste many of those in here to complete some of the back story...

No comments: