Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Fargo and Far to go


Talked with Bob at Ma's for a bit today. Fargo is tired. They've been fetching an getting for weeks and while they are past the critical moment of this event, any heavy rains in the next few weeks could start the flooding all over again. Meanwhile, somewhere in the melee my engine bars are theoretically assembled and waiting a ride to the power-coating guy, and then they can be off to me. I really do not want to venture off, even on the first short trip without them. It is all to easy to dump a loaded bike in parking lot, or gravel or or or..

The visit to StreetCycles went well.. they replaced the temp sensor. I asked them to do a once over check and in the process found the radiator fluid to be lacking in anti, so they dumped it out and refilled with fresh... a good thing regardless. While they had it open I also asked to have them give the plugs a buffing before putting back together. It runs quite a bit better at speed, and of course the engine code hasn't reappeared. While I was there I upped for Gerbings heated jacket. a nice change from a vest that didn't work well.. thanks Ian...

My next stop was a photo tag mission, on which i was thoroughly bruced. Then a stop at my Root Canal Dr for copies of my xrays to send off to other dentist. Then on home to experience my first brucing... oh, the humiliation... .. well I couldn't let that go! I had some real coffee, sauteed up a couple of lbs of haddock, scarfed it down and set off on a night run to get the new Tag. I kitted up well, but it was still a cold ride. The elec jacket does a great job, but I only wore the rain jacket and not the pant so I was still loosing too much heat. However it was only cold feet and a cold butt... my core and arms and hands and head were fine. I tracked the trip with SPOT, which also showed up while I was mulling the brucing. See Jason on SPOT. I was nominated for a performance award on the return trip but was not selected... thank you officer! Took a short ride today to place the new tag.

Sunday is the first MEME lunch run of the season. I have much work to do on the bike and hope to get a bunch done between now and then and make it a short test run with a full kit on, including the Mt. Sun tank panniers and the tank bag, neither of which have been on the bike yet. ..wish the bars were here...... The Blue digital LED voltmeter came, as did the micro screwdriver set so I can repair the older Nikon.. the control pad joystick, sticks...... if I can't affect a fix, I'll source a junker for parts.

The Tank Panniers are drip drying a bit before I treat them with waterproofing and then they get a trip in the dryer to "seal it up". In talking to James Coburn at Mountain Sun, he suggested that I could treat the outside, but also once I had that done to turn the bag inside out and seal the seams. I have two tubesof sealer, for sealing up the Panniers and the Tent, if we ever get a decent day!! I finally realized that I m,ust have an older set of bags as I can see no good way to dettache one side to use as a back-pack. Huh... I hanen't made huge hiking plans, outside of a mile here or there to see something and take photo ops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jason,
Read your message you sent via the Kiva network. Sorry about the dog :( Good on you for taking an extended ride. Wow! Envy you for sure. Cool that you're promoting Kiva. We've been a part of Kiva for a number of years now. If you're in the Niagara region in Canada, we can offer a bed for the night, as well as a home cooked meal. All the best; praying that you will have a safe trip, as well as many moments of self-discovery. Owen and Helga Juhlke, Vineland, ON CANADA